What is Family Medicine?
Family medicine is a medical specialty that addresses continuous and comprehensive medical care for the individual and family. Family medicine incorporates biological, behavioral, and clinical sciences and encompasses treatment of all organ systems, all disease states, both sexes, and all ages, from newborns to seniors. Family medicine physicians are advocates for the health care needs of the individual or family as it relates to the use of health care services, consultation, and health care resources in the community.
Family medicine physicians receive the unique training required to provide comprehensive, continuity of care, health maintenance, and preventive medicine services, such as routine check-ups, immunizations, health-risk assessments, and diagnostic tests, regardless of age, sex, behavioral, or social background. Family medicine physicians provide patient care that is often coordinated with other subspecialists.
Family Medicine Services
At Cascade Integrative Medicine, our family medicine physicians provide a range of services including:
- Well child care, including vaccinations and physicals
- Sick child evaluation
- Diagnostic and preventive screening, including vision, hearing, blood pressure, allergy, diabetes, cancer, and lung disease
- Acute illness
- Injury requiring medical care
- Sports physicals
- Dermatological screening and biopsy, including wart removal
- Chronic medical conditions including diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, asthma, high cholesterol.
- Women’s health care including breast exams, pelvic exams, and pap smears
- Family planning including birth control counseling and IUD placement
- Geriatric care
- Nutritional and dietary counseling
- Individual and family counseling